Sunday, April 18, 2010

How to make a fool of yourself...

It's a painfully slow friday night. Something that doesn't happen very often. While your average week-end night is fun-filled with back to back calls related to alcohol, fighting and domestic issues, we were just sitting at our station trying to figure out how to pass the time.
Somewhere around o-dark-thirty dispatch sent us to post in a different call area. The streets were strangely calm. My partner and I didn't speak much, as we were both tired. As we were driving through a residetial area something in the road we had just passed caught my eye. Something just didn't seem right. I put the rig in reverse and backed up to the last intersection. We both looked out the window and saw a BMW in the middle of the road and two people lying on the pavement in front of it, around them a group of people. It appeared as if something bad had happened. Maybe the BMW ran them over?
I quickly turned the rig around and made my way to the scene. But something still didn't feel right. My mind was telling me that something was wrong, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. My partner called it in on the radio.

As we pulled up to the crowd of people, they looked up and saw us, surprised as if we shouldn't be there. I rolled down the window and before I could ask what had happened one of the bystanders asked "Do you need to go through? Do you need us to move?". A little startled I asked him what happened. Now he had a real confused facial expression "what do you mean, what happened?". And before I could answer, I realized what was going on. "Film set?" "Yep..." "Ok, never mind then".

Turns out we had parked in the middle of a running film set. I don't know they were filming and didn't get the chance to ask, as we got out of there as fast as we could and told dispatch to disregard. We laughed the rest of the way and felt pretty dumb not have realized it sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment